BOB

Default Dulce De Leche recipe and storage

zxcvbob typed:
> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>> Aurrggh! I don't know if this guy means to be funny or not, but NEVER
>> heat any unopened can! In fact, this one should go in the kitchen myths
>> thread.

> You've heard too many apocryphal stories about exploding cans of beans in
> the campfire and think it's an apt analogy (it's not).
>
>> I don't know where people got the idea that heating condensed milk in
>> the can makes caramel, but it is a bad idea.

> Why is it a bad idea?
>
>> One of the brands has even started printing warnings on the label.

> Which brand is that?

I just checked...it's "Magnolia" by Borden. I'll bet Eagle has the warning
"Caution-Never heat unopened can." I'm still not going to stop something my
Great Aunt taught me when I was knee-high to a grasshopper just 'cause some
corporate lawyer can't watch it when he tries without letting the pan boil
dry.

BOB
Never knew it had such a fancy sounding name, though