Vox Humana

Default Dulce De Leche recipe and storage

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
> Aurrggh! I don't know if this guy means to be funny or not, but NEVER
> heat any unopened can! In fact, this one should go in the kitchen myths
> thread. I don't know where people got the idea that heating condensed
> milk in the can makes caramel, but it is a bad idea. One of the brands
> has even started printing warnings on the label.

People have gotten the idea from all the thousands of other people who do
this. I can assure you that it does make Dulce De Leche. There is a new
book out that lists a lot of ridiculous warnings that are printed on labels.
The danger in heating a can in simmering water is in letting the pan boil
dry. That is a danger if you are boiling peas or rice, not just a can of
sweetened condensed milk. There is some danger in cooking. You can get
burnt or cut. You can start a fire or get electrocuted. People who can't
supervise the pan shouldn't use this technique. If you want to induce panic
among the uninitiated, just tell someone that you intend to use a pressure
cooker!!! I suppose the idea of putting a can inside the pressure cooker is
way too much for most people to deal with.