Sheryl Rosen

in article , John Forrest
Tomlinson at
wrote on 10/22/04 5:19 PM:

> A friend has asked me to help devise a scheme to use in judging a
> lasagne contest, and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions about
> doing it?
>
> I'm thinking that the judges should consider each dish on a handful of
> criteria, including appearance, taste and texture. Any thoughts?
>
> JT

Some criteria of good lasagna:

1. Layers hold when you cut into it, rather than filling in the hole where
the piece you just removed once was.

2. No puddles of sauce in the bottom of the pan.

3. Layers hold together when served. (No scrambled messes on the plate)

4. Noodles are not gummy or mushy, nor are they tough, undercooked or
leathery.

5. You can taste the individual components separately, it's not just a big
mess of conglomerated flavors. So in a bite, you get a distinct flavor of
the cheeses, the pasta, the sauce and the meat or vegetables, if any. It's
not just a big glop.

6. Top is not burned, nor is it overly dried out.

7. Cheese on top layer creamy, not leathery.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.