Ellen Wickberg

Default Dulce De Leche recipe and storage

in article , JOAT at
wrote on 20/10/03 11:25 am:

> Hi. Does anyone have a good recipe to make caramel or Dulce De Leche?
> And tips on how to store it in jars or cans?

I've always done it the lazy way. Boil an unopened can of condensed milk (
not evaporated, but the one with sugar in it) for an hour Make sure that
the pot is full of water so that the can is never partly exposed. Let it
cool and open an eat ( or in your case, just keep it unopened and eat at
leisure. I know some feel that this is not safe because the can may
explode. I have always made sure that none of the boiling can was exposed
and presumed that this made it "blow=up" proof. The other way is to take
milk and sugar and boil until it is the consistency you want. It takes a
long time and must be stirred constantly If you want a recipe, I will look
one up for you. Ellen