CJB

previously in rfc, Mark Thorson > wrote:

> CJB wrote:
>
>> I just rub the peanuts with my fingers if I want to remove them
>> (they usually come off no problem), but these days I more often
>> than not keep the red skins on for the antioxidant benefits.

> Benefits? I avoid peanuts for health reasons.
>
> In this study, 10 out of 36 participants were found to be
> positive for the Thomsen-Friedenreich antigen, which
> causes the cells of their rectum to divide rapidly (possible
> risk factor for colorectal cancer) when they eat peanuts.

Are you positive for this antigen? Is that why you stay clear? Or is it a
just in case? I found the study (snipped) a little confusing (didn't
understand all the terms/language), but definitely grim for peanut eaters.
Those who are affected, anyway. I wonder if there's an easy way to know or
find out if you'd be affected....

I've been interested in resveratrol, which has been found to have anti-
inflammatory and anti-cancer properties. It's found in peanuts, and moreso
in the red skin...along with other red fruits, and red wine...

And then there's the fact that soluble fiber is found in peanuts, which
keeps the digestive system clean...

There have also been studies that show peanuts to aid in heart health,
lowering triglycerides. They've got lots of heart healthy nutrients.

I guess it's about figuring out what your own health needs are and trying
to eat appropriately, taking the risks/benefits into account.

-Claudia