PENMART01

>Bob Simon writes:
>
>I have a set of four hand-made stoneware plates with tri-color glazes
>that I consider art pieces as much as dinnerware. Years ago, we also
>purchased a set of Royal Doulton porcelain plates for everyday use.
>My wife says that since she has noticed scratches on the porcelain
>plates, we should only serve meat on the stoneware which will resist
>scratches from knives.
>
>Does anyone happen to know which is usually harder: stoneware or
>porcelain?

Porcelain is the fired on glaze used on all ceramic dinnerware. Ceramic ware
labeled porcelain is generally fired at higher temperatures, but dosen't mean
it's surface is harder, just more translucent.

>Even if the glazes are typically about equally scratch-resistant,
>wouldn't it make sense to generally use the commercial porcelain
>plates, reserving the decorative stoneware plates for special
>occasions?

Actually if your dinnerware is particularly valuable, _to you_, neither should
be used with steak knives. Treat yourself to an inexpensive set of generic
dinner plates, or use metal steak platters as is used by most steakhouses.
Folks generally don't serve steak at formal dinners that require formal
dinnerware.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon