Jack Curry

Charles Howse wrote:

stuff snipped-

> I've added a cup of apple juice I stole from my grandson while he
> wasn't looking, some catsup, 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, 1
> tablespoon of white sugar, black pepper, and crushed
> cayenne...everyone still reacts violently when tasting it. ;-) Too
> much vinegar! I've also set the bowl of sauce on top of the smoker to
> see if some of the vinegar will evaporate.
>
> I'm smoking a 6.7 lb Boston Butt, and plan to eat about 7:30 Central
> time.
> If all else fails, there's still time to go to the "Pig House" (our
> local BBQ Drive-thru) and buy a cup of sauce.

As Chef Juke said,
"The other thing is, as you mention it is WAY to vinegary, you may
simply not LIKE vinegar sauce...."

Here's a traditional recipe for NC Vinegar Sauce and as you'll see, it's all
vinegar.

1 C white vinegar
1 C cider vinegar
1 TBS sugar
1 TBS cayenne pepper flakes
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp ground black pepper

Me...I love vinegar, especially on pulled pork. Others (you, I think)
don't, but that's why there are endless options to choose from. I suggest
you cut your losses, pitch the stuff you don't like and try a mustard or
tomato-based sauce.

This is my family's favorite:

Jack Curry's BBQ Sauce

14 oz catsup
3 TBS CYM (cheap yellow mustard)
1 1/2 c water
3/4 c cider vinegar
2 1/2 TBS dark brown sugar
1 TBS lemon juice
1 TBS chili powder
2 tsp dry mustard
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp ground red pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Mix it, bring it to a boil, simmer 30 minutes.

Jack Curry

Jack Curry