Steve Calvin

Default how do you flavor beef stew ?

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> (abdul rahim) wrote:
>

>>crockpot does a nice job of softening up the beef, carrots, and potatoes,
>>but
>>what can you add to flavor beef stew?
>>
>>tastes kind of bland with just salt and pepper. any spicing/flavoring
>>ideas? thanks

> Oh, some Worcestershire sauce, too.

Not a crock pot rec. but very flavorful.

1/2 pound salt Pork - cut into pieces and saute the pork slowly in a
large skillet until rendered

2 pounds boneless stew beef
BROWN (and I mean brown) the beef in the hot drippings or small bit
of oil over high heat. Make sure to brown all sides
Spoon off most of the fat.
Deglaze pan with red wine and reduce until almost gone.
Sprinkle meat with flour seasoned with salt and fresh ground pepper.

Combine and heat until boiling:
1 or 2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 large chopped onion
1 cup beef broth (I recommend 2)
1 cup red wine (or a 12 oz bottle of beer)
1 cup tomato sauce
12 peppercorns (or fresh ground)
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/3 bay leaf

Place the meat in a heavy saucepan. Pour other ingredients over it.
Simmer covered 2 - 3 hours or until meat can easily be pierced with
a fork.

Cook separately until nearly tender:
6 medium-sized pared quartered potatoes
6 pared quartered carrots
1 rib celery, chopped

Add these to stew for the last 15 minutes.

I also put fresh mushrooms, peas, or whatever, in. If it needs
thickening, mix flour and *cold* water together. Bring the stew to a
boil and whisk in some of the mixture. Let it boil for a few minutes.

--
Steve