Arri London

"D. A.'Dutch' Martinich" wrote:

> In the Patrick O'Brian Aubry/Maturin novels about the British navy,
> toasted cheese is often mentioned as a late evening snack served in
> the captain's cabin. Yes, I know there is a food book written as a
> spin-off from the series, but I don't have it and neither does my
> library. Do any of Her Majesty's subjects out there know how it is
> actually prepared? (I would enjoy Manchego just like Killick!)
> Thanks,
> D.M.

The simplest method is to put cheese on toast and run it under the
grill/broiler until it is brown and melted.
Can be seasoned if liked, of course.

Otherwise it is melted in a cheese toaster (of course), mixed with
prepared mustard then browned. Either serve with toast separately or
spread it on the toast and serve that way.