Charles Gifford

"D. A.'Dutch' Martinich" > wrote in message
m...
> In the Patrick O'Brian Aubry/Maturin novels about the British navy,
> toasted cheese is often mentioned as a late evening snack served in
> the captain's cabin. Yes, I know there is a food book written as a
> spin-off from the series, but I don't have it and neither does my
> library. Do any of Her Majesty's subjects out there know how it is
> actually prepared? (I would enjoy Manchego just like Killick!)
> Thanks,
> D.M.

I have answered under Wayne's post. I'm not one of Her Majesty's subjects,
but do know how it is prepared. If you watch the film Killick prepares this
dish in a silver "toasted cheese" dish. Fortunately you do not need a
specialized dish as they are not easy to find these days! I do urge you to
purchase the cookbook "Lobscouse and Spotted Dog" by Anne Chotzinoff
Grossman and Lisa Grossman Thomas. It is extremely valuable to all who are
interested in the O'Brian books. Amazon has it and the price is reasonable.

Charlie