Blanche Nonken

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article >,
> wrote:
>
> > "Anny Middon" > wrote:
> >
> > > But then I got to thinking -- when I get a pressure canner, are
> > > these jars suitable for use in pressure canning?

> > I pressure-canned single-serving batches of all meat chili in 4 oz.
> > jelly jars. No problem.

> OK, Blanche -- I gotta ask: Why? Those are half-cup jars and by the
> time you leave an inch of headspace, you're down to about nothing.
> Huh? Did you mean an 8 oz/half-pint jar?

No, I used 4 oz. I cheated and didn't do a full inch of space, I did
generous 1/2 - 2/3 inch space. The reason is that chili's not a popular
meal in my house, so this way I have just enough to eat for lunch with a
couple of corn tortillas - either wrapped, or heated up and poured over
two shredded tortillas for something like a sopa seca.

They canned beautifully, the lesser head space didn't affect the
processing, and they work perfectly for my needs.