Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bryan-TGWWW Bryan-TGWWW is offline

Default A&W hamburger seasoning

On Sunday, October 24, 2004 at 5:40:09 PM UTC-5, Jim Johnston wrote:
> PENMART01 wrote:

> >>Loaded with MSG most likely...

> > Probably not... msg has much too much bad press for fast food chains to take
> > the risk... probably plain old salt, salt costs way less too.
> >

> Apparently the biggest grocer in the country (WalMart) doesn't know
> this. The wife just brought home some Fried Chicken from their deli...
> it's got MSG, therefore I can't eat it with my corn allergy.

What does MSG have to do with "corn allergy"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosod...utamate#Safety

MSG is very safe in the quantities that any reasonable person would use.
Plus, you can use even less MSG if you also add a tiny bit of I&G.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disodium_ribonucleotides

The bad thing about supermarket fried foods is not MSG or I&G, but the fact
that they fry in shitty, unhealthful oils that are high in Omega 6.

Sodium-wise, MSG is less than 13% sodium, and salt is over 50% sodium.
Disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate are also less than 13% sodium,
and you use both I&G and MSG in *far* lighter concentrations than one
typically uses salt.

If you think that either of those flavor enhancers aggravates your "corn
allergy" you are incorrect.

--Bryan