Dave Parker

Default French Press - Weak Coffee Issue

I had a similar problem when I first started using a French Press. The
coffee tasted thin and bitter. I attributed the problem to
overextraction. The following steps seemed to correct the problem:
finer grind (just a little finer than normal auto-drip), shorter brew
time (about 2 minutes from the time the water hits the coffee to
pouring the cup), 180-200 F water (just starting to boil), adjust
amount of coffee to get the desired strength.

Using a finer grind, hotter water, and extra coffee allows you to go
with a shorter brew time and avoid overextraction. It does take a bit
more effort to push the plunger down - just go slowly and steadily. I
haven't noticed any difference in the amount of sediment in the cup
with the finer grind.

Dave