BRevere

Default Bread without milk, eggs

Egg yolks, oil and milk increase the "keeping quality" of the bread,
and they do affect taste of course.
I.I. loaves go stale slower with milk, yolks and oil added.

You can safely eliminate the egg yolks, fat and milk
in any bread recipe, just be sure to add less flour or substitute
an equal volume of water for the eggs, fat and milk.
Substitute about 1/4 cup for each whole egg, or 1-2 tablespoons for each
yolk.
Lots of bread is just flour, water, salt and yeast--some boast of this.

If you simply leave out the milk, fat or eggs, be very stingy as
you add the last 1-2 cups of flour as you are kneading it.
In general, 1 cup of liquid needs 2 1/2 to 3 cups of flour/dry ingredients
to form a
dough of the correct consistency.

This last is just a guideline however, and most recipes will give an
approximate flour amount, usually adding the last 2-3 cups of flour as you
knead, adjusting up or down as dictated by the "feel" of the dough.

Baking bread is one of the most satisfying things a cook can embark upon.
I bake so often that my husbands starts telling me to slow down as the
freezer is bursting! I start to send them home with guests after that.

Good luck!

Barb
news