PENMART01

Default Storing Fresh Green Beans

"levelwuss" wrote:

>What's the best way to store Fresh Green Beans?... I've tried the Fridge
>but they start turning brown and mushy in a matter of hours...

You're such a jerk... you never tasted a Fresh green bean.

You need to quit raiding your stupidmarket's produce department's dumpster...
btw, if they weren't picked within hours they ain't Fresh Green Beans...
stupidmarkets do not sell any fresh produce, NONE.... they only call it fresh
as averse to canned/frozen. PS Frozen is more nutritious than stupidmarket
'fresh', so is canned.

The best way to long-term store green beans is in a jar, pickled... use ONLY
FRESH green beans (picked that day).

http://www.picklenet.com/sections/ca...orld/beans.htm

Pickled Green Beans

This pickle is lovely and sweet, and can be served as an hors d'oeuvre with egg
mayonnaise and a sprig of dill. Fills approx. 2 x 600ml jars.

convert measurements
675 g green beans
3 tsp pickling spice
3 tsp black peppercorns
1 litre white wine vinegar
75 g sugar
1 bay leaf
1 garlic clove
1 onion
1 red capsicum
a few sprigs of dill

1. Trim the beans and cut into 7 cm lengths. Boil in a pan of water for 1
minute. Drain and rinde thoroughly, and dry with kitchen paper.

2. Put the pickling spice and peppercorns onto apiece of muslin, and tie up
into a bag with a piece of string. Tie the bag to the handle of a large
saucepan. Put the vinegar, sugar, bay leaf and garlic clove into the saucepan.

3. Stir the mixture over a low heat, until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to
the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Then remove the muslin bag, bay leaf and
garlic clove. Leave to cool.

4. Peel and dice the onion. Core, seed and dice the capsicum. Mix both
together.

5. Pack the beans into sterilized jars so that they are upright. Spoon in the
onion and capsicum mixture. Add 2 sprigs of dill to each jar, and pour over the
vinegar mixture, so that the vegetables are well covered.

6. Seal jars firmly. Store in a cool dark place for at least 2 weeks, to allow
flavours to develop.
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon