Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
[email protected] jclayton@signaturecontrols.com is offline

Default When & how to use Campden tablets. New to wine making.

On Friday, September 25, 2009 12:30:37 PM UTC-4, Mike wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am new to wine making and follow recipe's online and from books.
> I started 6 weeks ago and have started , Damson, Blackberry, Apple,Crap
> Apple
> & Elderberry all in quantities of 1 gallon.
>
> I am a bit confused when to use Campden tablets as some recipe's add them
> from start,
> others at first racking, some on last racking and some don't mention them at
> all.
> Can you guide me through when to use them please ?
> TIA

I started with 12 cans of Welchs 100% frozen grape juice (concord grapes). The book I read said add 4 tablets of Campden pills (I used the potassium version). I added 5 pounds granulated sugar and the crushed/dissolved campden pills to the juice and shook it in the carbouoy until the sugar was dissolved. I started Fleshmens bakers yeast in a small bowl with warm water and sugar. Yeast was foamy and I added it to the carbuoy. It has been two days and it has not started to ferment yet. Did the Campden pills kill the yeast? How do I fix this? I am making 5 gallons.

email me at mank-at-bardstowncable-dot-net

Thanks in advance!