Katra

Default Storing Fresh Green Beans

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Katra > wrote in
> :
>

> > levelwave wrote:
> >>
> >> What's the best way to store Fresh Green Beans?... I've tried the
> >> Fridge but they start turning brown and mushy in a matter of hours...
> >>
> >> ~john!

> How do you store them in the fridge? I've never had a problem storing
> fresh green beans in the fridge, either unwashed and whole or washed and
> prepped for cooking. I make sure they're thoroughly dried, then store
> in a pastic bag with most of the air removed. They keep for days, as
> long as a week, before any hint of spoilage.
>
> Wayne
>

> >> --
> >> What was it like to see - the face of your own stability - suddenly
> >> look away...

> > Blanch and freeze....
> >
> > K.

I usually store them in an open collander and they keep for about 5 to 7
days. When it comes to fresh produce, I try not to buy more than I can
use in one week. :-)

I have wicker baskets that I store most of my fresh fruit and produce
in, including ginger and lemons. Ginger keeps for about 4 weeks.

I have a 40 cubic ft. Hobart unit tho' that is very, very stable at 38
to 40 degrees. Double glass doors and the whole bit. It's on the
enclosed sun porch.

I got it for free when our lab bought new refrigerators! Had a hell of a
time bringing it home and installing it, and it's about 20 years old so
have sunk about $600.00 into it in repairs in 3 years, but considering
it's worth around $3,000.00, it is money well spent. :-) I think it's
good to go now for awhile since they did a dye test and found the last
freon leak...

God I love that refrigerator! LOL!

It's amusing, I lusted after that refrigerator for years, and never,
EVER imagined I'd end up owning it! It was in the micro' section tho' so
when I got it home, I sprayed it inside and out with 10% bleach and
cleaned it well before using it...

One can never have too much refrigerator space. :-)

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra