Melanie

Default How to use a chafing dish

I am planning a buffet dinner for Thanksgiving. I have a warming tray
that will keep a couple of dishes warm. I would also like to use my
chafing dish for maybe the mashed potatoes, but I can't quite figure
out how to use it. The chafing dish is a round one, about 4 quart
capacity. It has an inner pan that fits into the outer pan, that in
turn can be heated with Sterno from below. The instructions say to
put water in outer pan, and food in the inner pan. When I tried that,
and lit the Sterno, the water produced steam that had no where to go.
It started hissing and gurgling and I chickened out. When I put the
food directly in the outer pan, it started to burn. What is the right
way to do this?