Boron Elgar

Default Bread without milk, eggs

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 10:50:36 GMT, Maximillian >
wrote:

>I am about to undertake breadbaking. I am a pretty good cook
>otherwise, but this will be new to me. There is a bakery near my
>mother's home and when I go for my annual visit I get addicted to
>their bread, and I want to try to reproduce their recipe at home.
>
>The difference in their breads (and, I have observed, most commercial
>breads) is that almost every recipe I have come across on the web
>contains oil or milk or eggs or all three, and their breads contain
>none of these. My wife is lactose intolerant, and in my cooking I try
>to maintain a low-fat regimen, so I would like to make my bread like
>they do.

Stop by the alt.bread.recipes or rec.food.sourdough groups and browse
awhile. You can also google either of those groups and check for
recipes that have been posted in the past.

You are looking for what is known as "lean" breads, those that depend
on the basics, as Vox said, of flour water, yeast and salt. I bake
almost all my own bread and rarely use milk or eggs or fats. (ok.. I
do like to make a brioche once in awhile). There are wonderful whole
grain breads to be made with no "extras" needed.

An excellent start may be your local library, too, to find a few
cookbooks that specialize in bread baking.

Start here, by reading a sourdough faq, not to point you exclusively
to sourdough, but just to give you some starting point on looking
around.

http://faqs.jmas.co.jp/FAQs/food/sourdough/basicbread

Here is another web site that may give you some interesting background
and offers many bread recipes that you may like.
http://www.theartisan.net/bredfrm.htm

Boron