Dimitri

Default Japanese Steak House Rice

"Bunny McElwee" > wrote in message
> My husband loves the "Big Block" of rice you get when you go to one of
> those Japanese Steak house restaurants (like Myobi's, Kyoto's, Yokoso's,
> etc) where they cook on the big grill in front of you. I'm curious as to
> how they make this rice and what kind of rice they use? Seems like simple
> ingredients, rice, some sort of flavoring sauce (Maybe soy?) and usually
> sesame seeds (at our restaurants, placed on the big block of rice in a
> smiley face pattern). Any recipes out there for this type of rice as well
> as how to cook the rice they use for this dish?
>
> --
> Bunny McElwee
> President, Lowcountry Miata Club
> www.lowcountrymiataclub.net
>
> 1991 Mariner Blue with Red & White Stripes
> "BlueFlash"

Is this what you are looking for?

Dimitri

Top Secret Recipes version of
BenihanaŽ Japanese Fried Rice

When 20-year-old Rocky Aoki came to the New York City from Japan with his
wrestling team in 1959 he was convinced it was the land of opportunity. Just
five years later he took $10,000 he had saved plus another $20,000 that he
borrowed to open a Benihana steakhouse on the West side of Manhattan. His
concept of bringing the chefs out from the back kitchen to prepare the food
in front of customers on a specially designed hibachi grill was
groundbreaking. The restaurant was such a smashing success that it paid for
itself within six months.
Here's a clone recipe for the fried rice at Banihana that is prepared by
chefs with pre-cooked rice on those open hibachi grills.

4 cups cooked converted or parboiled rice (1 cup uncooked)
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
2 tablespoons finely grated carrot
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup diced onion (1/2 small onion)
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons soy sauce
salt
pepper

1. Cook rice following instructions on package (Bring 2 cups water to a
boil, add rice and a dash of salt, reduce heat and simmer in covered
saucepan for 20 minutes). Pour rice into a large bowl to let it cool in the
refrigerator.
2. Scramble the eggs in a small pan over medium heat. Separate the scrambled
chunks of egg into small pea-size bits while cooking.
3. When rice has cooled to near room temperature, add peas, grated carrot,
scrambled egg and diced onion to the bowl. Carefully toss all of the
ingredients together.
4. Melt 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter in a large frying pan over medium/high
heat.
5. When butter has completely melted, dump the bowl of rice and other
ingredients into the pan and add soy sauce plus a dash of salt and pepper.
Cook rice for 6-8 minutes over heat, stirring often.
(http://www.topsecretrecipes.com)
Serves 4.