Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Senior grocery discounts?

Silvar Beitel wrote:
> A blurb in the April 2013 AARP Bulletin:
>
> "Many supermarkets offer discounts - typically 5 to 10 percent off
> your grocery tab - for customers 55-plus who shop on a specific day of
> the week, often Tuesday or Wednesday. Promotions vary, so ask ahead.
> Participating chains include Albertson's, Bashas', HI-LO, Food Lion,
> Fred Meyer, Fry's, Hy-Vee, Kroger, Meijer, Pathmark, Piggly Wiggly and
> Publix."
>
> Never heard of that before. (None of those stores are around here
> (MA/ NH border), and none of the stores that *are* around here have a
> senior discount. (I think, but I'll ask next time!) )

I've never heard of it either. I have not seen anything posted at Fred
Meyer or Albertsons. Some places give a military discount. I think Rite
Aid does a senior discount on one day of the week. I know of a local
nursery that gives a senior discount and also a cash discount.

I am registered with Albertsons. Lemme go to their website and see...
Hmmm... Does not say anything there. Lemme Swagbuck it. This is very old
info but it looks like in Carlsbad CA, on the first Wed. of the month, there
is a 10% senior discount.

http://thecarlsbaddispatch.com/view_...332&forum_id=1

I just called my mom who is a senior. She didn't remember at first but then
said that Fred Meyer does do one but it's only on one day of the week and
she never asked for it. Does not know about an Alberstons one.