Karen

Default Proofing bread at home.

"Fred" > wrote in message
. net...
> I learned how bakers proof bread at the culinary school today. I had a
> chance to use the big wet warm cabinet called a proofer. How do you do it
> at home? Do you just wait longer in cooler temperatures or is there some
> good way to produce the effects of a proofer in a home kitchen?
>
> Fred
> The Good Gourmet
> http://www.thegoodgourmet.com

Here's my setup for proofing yeast dough: I place the oiled dough in a
warmed greased bowl, then place the covered bowl on top of an electric
heating pad (yeah, the kind used for sore muscles! LOL) set at "medium".
When I make rolls, after the first rising I shape the rolls, place them on a
greased baking sheet, cover, and place the baking sheet on the heating pad
for the final rise.

In lieu of a heating pad, I've used a 9"x13" roasting pan filled halfway
with the hottest water from the tap. I set the baking sheet on top of that
and cover the dough. This works really well, too.

When kitchen and oven space are at a premium, these "portable" methods can
be used in almost any room in the house...as long as you remember you've got
dough rising somewhere! :-)

Karen