Dee Randall

Default Proofing bread at home.

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Fred" > wrote in message
> . net...
> > I learned how bakers proof bread at the culinary school today. I had a
> > chance to use the big wet warm cabinet called a proofer. How do you do

it
> > at home? Do you just wait longer in cooler temperatures or is there

some
> > good way to produce the effects of a proofer in a home kitchen?

> I don't find that I need a proofer unless I want to speed up the process.
> You get better bread with a slow rise in a cool place. You can rig a
> proofing box in a number of ways. 1) put a 11x14 pan of hot water in your
> oven, place the dough in a bowl, and close the door. 2) bring a 4 cup
> measure of water to a boil in your microwave, put the dough in a bowl,

place
> in the oven, close the door. 3) Put the dough with a pan of hot water on

> tray and invert a large plastic storage bin over it. 4) put a jug of hot
> water in a picnic cooler with the dough and cover.
>
> You get the idea. You just need a way to trap warm, moist air. Many

newer
> ovens have a "proof" setting. That turns the convection oven on at a
> temperature of 100F. They usually recommend that you add a pan of boiling
> water for moisture.

<snip>
3) Put the dough with a pan of hot water on a
tray and invert a large plastic storage bin over it.

I have a large plastic storage bin to cover my dough to raise. I'm not sure
what you mean by putting the dough with a pan of hot water on a tray .." I
can't visualize this, can you be a little more specific for me?

thanks
Dee