jmcquown

Default Low Sodium Hot Dogs?

-L. wrote:
> DH likes chili-laden hot dogs (I won't touch them) but is on a
> salt-restricted diet. Does anyone make a salt-reduced version that is
> tasty?
>
> TIA for any info.
> -L.

Not clear; are you asking for low-sodium hot dogs or low sodium chili to put
on the hot dogs?

I don't know of any low sodium hot dogs, but I know you can make your own
no-salt chili powder to season chili with. I got this recipe blend from
the American Heart Association's 'Cooking Without Your Salt Shaker', circa
1980. They have since told me this is a collectible cookbook! LOL

3 Tbs. sweet paprika (in making chili powder, I'd use hot Hungarian paprika)
2 tps. finely crushed oregano
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground turmeric
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (to taste)

Blend ingredients together and use in place of commercially sold chili
powder. Makes 4 Tablespoonfuls.

Jill