MonopTN

Default Big Drum Smokers

Michael wrote:

> "Rocky" > wrote in message
>
>>Hi Michael,
>>
>>If you take out the charcoal grate and ring, and take off the lid, it

> should
>
>>fit fine in the trunk laid down horizontally. You might need a couple

> bungee
>
>>cords to secure the trunk lid just in case it doesn't close completely.

> My trunk stays full, traveling peddler, if I'm in Hendersonville.
>
>>I fit two 55 gallon drums at a time in the back of my old 2-door subaru
>>hatchback GL. Unfortunately, I didn't have my truck back then when I was
>>buying the drums used for the smokers, so I loaded 2 at a time per trip.
>>
>>Do you have any friends or relatives that own a pickup truck?

> Well, actually I own two but neither one of them would make it to
> Hendersonvillw and back. One is a farm truck that never leaves the property
> because it isn't even close to being street legal. The other might make it
> but the gas bill is hard to imagine, F-250 w/ a 460 and a four barrel.
>
> The F-250 isn't the dream vechicle to take on a four hour drive either.
> Rides kinda rough when empty.
>

>>I believe Charlotte is about 2 hours from here.

> I'll keep your address handy as I borrow my uncle's pick up each year to get
> piglets at Warren Wilson College in Swannanoa.
>

>>"Michael" > wrote in message
>>
>>>"Rocky" > wrote in message

>>>from

>>>I live east of Charlotte and one of your BDS's wouldn't fit too well in

>>the
>>
>>>Volvo.

I use the same type cooker when I don't want to fire up the brick pit.
instead of holes drilled in the barrell, I have a hinged door to
regulate the draft. I got the barrel free and took it to a welding
shop. They cut it, put the rebar in it, and the expanded metal all for
$25...not a bad price! I simply cover the top with a piece of
cardboard. I have a second piece of expanded metal that I use in the
bottom of the grill to suspend the charcoal so that it will cook
hotter...just put 3 bricks under it to suspend the metal. The only time
I need to suspend the charcoal is if it's cold outside to generate more
heat. On a hot day, 10 lbs of charcoal will cook chickens or ribs for 4
hours.

You can see a couple of pix of mine at
http://webpages.charter.net/epeay/barrel1.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/epeay/barrell2.jpg