Posted to rec.food.cooking
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Default Substitute for Tequila

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>
>> If alcoholism is in the mix anywhree make it without the tequila. Don't
>> bother with a substitute just remove that ingredient.

> It's just that when she tries a new recipe, she likes to stick to the ingredient
> list as much as possible

Then I don't get why she would not be willing to get the smallest size
bottle that works.

>> If the reason for not drinking is some other form of aversion to alcohol
>> I have seen concentrated runm, bourbon and brandy flavoring in the
>> baking section at the better grocery stores.

> I've seen that, but not for tequila

Exactly. If she's just not going to get any booze and there isn't a
flavor extract available for tequila then it's time to consider flavor
extracts that are not direct substitutes but that might serve a similar
function.

You could get some agave nectar, develop a sugar refining method that
does not take a large factory, discard the sugar, keep the by product.
it would be like molasses or golden syrup but like tequila. A vast
amount of work so impractical even though it's theoretically possible.

Or take agave nectar. Brew it into mead. Boil off the alcohol wasting
it. The result would be rather like an alcohol free tequila flavoring
extract. Waste of perfectly good mead-like-stuff but it could be done
at home in the kitchen not requiring a refinement factory. Folks will
note this sounds an aweful lot like making tequila but using the other
material flow as the product. Don't use a still - It's illegal in a
lot of states without serious licensing and the result would be
homemade tequila which she doesn't appear to want.