Posted to rec.food.cooking
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Substitute for Tequila

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
> Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may contain
> hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of tequila. She doesn't
> drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know anyone that drinks tequila so
> she's wondering what might (be easier to) substitute.

Rum should work. It won't be the same, but it actually might be more
authentic.

Is it the the dried hibiscus flowers/pods you get at an ethnic store in
a bag labeled "flor de jamaica"? You have to actually bring those to a
full boil briefly and then cover and let them soak to extract much of
the goodness, don't just steep in hot water like tea. And it stains
worse than red Koolaid so be careful. I bought a bottle of jamaica
juice concentrate once and it was disappointing -- it just tasted
"red". It's supposed to be sour like cranberry juice.

HTH,
Bob