Posted to rec.food.cooking
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Substitute for Tequila

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 03:51:32 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds wrote:
>>
>> Friend is making some ethnic food, don't remember what but it may contain
>> hibiscus flower water/simple syrup that calls for 4 oz of tequila. She doesn't
>> drink so has no need of a bottle, doesn't know anyone that drinks tequila so
>> she's wondering what might (be easier to) substitute.

>Probably best to use the real thing. Many liquor stores have a section of
>small 2oz bottles (sample bottles aka airline bottles). I'm sure tequila
>would be included. If not, tell her just to buy a pint. It won't cost very
>much and she'll be able to make her recipe again if she likes it.
>
>G.

Many liquor stores carry half pints too, but the smaller the size the
pricier per ounce. She'd be better off to buy a full size bottle and
save the rest, booze has a very long shelf life. And tequila is a
very good cooking ingredient, great for marinating meats (especially
fish) and maserating fresh fruits.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/tequila-shrimp/
http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/s...te-recipe-5323
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...am-recipe.html