Rocky

Default Big Drum Smokers

I build and sell my own smokers out of food-grade 55 gallon drums. They sit
vertically on the ground. The meat sets about 24 inches above the coals. I
buy the drums from a local juice company. They receive the juice concentrate
in these drums. These smokers need the lids to the drums as well to work
properly. I call them "Big Drum Smokers". It took me about 2 years to
perfect the design.

Initially, the coals were placed directly on the bottom of the drums. I
realized that the coals should get more air under them, so I designed a
charcoal grate to left them up off the bottom a few inches.
I had to figure the best size and amount of holes to use in the drum for
intake vents. That was very frustrating, but paid off after several changes.
I also designed a charcoal basket (ring) to set on the charcoal grate. This
extended the burn time and efficiency. I can get 12-16 hours burn time from
10-12 pounds of charcoal. I use 2-3 fist size chunks of wood on the
charcoal. I prefer to light the coals with a high output propane torch. I
also had to determine the size and amount of holes to put into the lid for
the exhaust vents. I mount 6 inch metal pull handles on top of the lids.

Unfortunately, I have been limited to selling these locally, because their
size exceeds UPS and FedEX normal shipping rates. They would cost as much to
ship as they cost to buy which is not very cost effective. I burn out the
drums with logs to remove any paint or coatings, then I brush off the
outside and repaint with high-temp Rustoleum spray paint.

Here are some links to pictures:

Early pictures of the Big Drum Smokers in progress

http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=Roc...BQ&AID=1310780

Butts & Brisket in Big Drum Smokers #1

http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=Roc...BQ&AID=1311221

Butts & Brisket in Big Drum Smokers #2

http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=Roc...BQ&AID=1311236

Butts & Brisket in Big Drum Smokers #3

http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=Roc...BQ&AID=1311244

Butts & Brisket in Big Drum Smokers #4

http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=Roc...BQ&AID=1311254

Butts, Chicken & Ribs in Big Drum Smokers

http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=Roc...BQ&AID=1311370

Turkey Breasts & Babybacks in Big Drum Smokers

http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=Roc...BQ&AID=1311407

Beef Ribs, Pork Butts & Shoulders in Big Drum Smokers

http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=Roc...BQ&AID=1311460

Homemade Corned Beef in Big Drum Smokers

http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=Roc...BQ&AID=1311651

Homemade Pastrami in Big Drum Smokers

http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=Roc...BQ&AID=1311674

ABT's in Big Drum Smokers #1