Posted to rec.food.cooking
Kent[_5_] Kent[_5_] is offline

Default Costco Organic Ground Beef

"Bryan" > wrote in message
On May 17, 1:10 am, "Kent" > wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> >> What did they say when you called them? CostCo carries different
> >> brands in different markets.

> >> So it's 85% lean now. What was it before? if you don't know that,
> >> then, well....

> > I didn't call them. I am not sure what it was before. But I think
> > somewhere in the 90%.

> I think "normal" ground beef is 20% fat. A restaurant "gourmet" hamburger
> is usually 20% fat. A lean ground beef hamburger is too dry and lacks
> flavor. Always go for 20% and make sure the beef is ground on site.
> Costco's
> hamburger is.

I understand the "too dry" part, but that "lacks flavor" thing is
bullshit. Lean beef has flavor. Delicious flavor. You're just
repeating shit you've heard time and time again. Do a side by side
tasting of browned lean beef against rendered tallow. You tell me
which one has "flavor."

--Bryan

The flavor beef is tied to the fat in the meat. Standing rib and ribeye
taste great. Chuck tastes great. NY strip is intermediate. Filet doesn't
taste like beef.

Kent