Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lou decruss Lou decruss is offline

Default Farm Raised Trout?

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 18:13:39 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 18/02/2012 5:32 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 13:44:59 -0800 (PST), >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Trout is a fish I have never bought- usually it's halibut or salmon.

>> If you ever see steelhead trout (red fleshed rainbow trout that have
>> been at sea) - buy some, it's delicious!
>>

>It sure is.

I agree. Here Costco sells steelhead "salmon." This came up here
about a year ago and I did some googling. The sites all have
something a little different about it. This site words it in a simple
way if it's accurate.

From he

http://www.gosalmonfishing.com/salmo...-steelhead.php

Steelhead salmon (Oncorhynchus mykiss) are commonly known as trout,
but in fact they are a species of salmon native to the Pacific region.
Land locked steelheads are also known as rainbow trout; in fact that
is their common name. The term steelhead is used to differentiate
between those rainbows that stay in fresh water permanently and those
that go out to the ocean. Both rainbow and steelhead trout will return
to the place where they hatched in order to spawn; therefore,
steelheads are an anadromous species. Unlike their Pacific salmon
cousins, steelheads and rainbows can spawn numerous times before
dying.