Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gary Gary is offline

Default Are You Fixing A Special Dinner For Valentine's Day?

Bryan wrote:

> On Feb 8, 1:17 am, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> > How many here are planning a special menu to fix at home for family, or
> > friends, or maybe a "significant other" that you want to impress?
> >

> I buy a live lobster to cook for my wife. I serve here the tail and
> big claw pieces with lemon butter. Then I too the head and liver, and
> painstakingly remove all the tiny bits of meat from the rest of the
> shell.

Consider this, Bryan. I found it in my recipes folder and I remember it
well.

Baked Stuffed Lobster

Parboil the lobsters until light red. Split and clean out the coral and
the green fat from the body cavity.

Saute onion, green pepper, celery, bread crumbs, salt, thyme,
green fat and coral in butter. Add chopped up meat from one of the
claws (the smaller one).

Stuff the cavity, put a little butter and lemon juice on top. Sprinkle
a little paprika on. Broil until browned

My personal notes: The one time I had this, we also added the meat from
one blue crab to the stuffing. Blue crab has a "tangier" taste than
lobster.

With this recipe you get to eat the whole lobster plain, as you normally
would except for the one small claw that's added to the stuffing.

Trust me, that stuffing is the best part.
I've never forgotten that meal!!!! :-D

Also: Years ago, I used to be able to buy "Rock Shrimp" from fishermen
who would catch them and set up a stand out of the back of their pickup
trucks. They had harder shells than regular shrimp and they were much
cheaper. They tasted JUST LIKE LOBSTER and they were cheaper than
lobster or the regular shrimp.

I haven't seen them in years, but lately have seen "Tiger Shrimp" in the
stores.... these look the same (and are now more expensive). I'll bet
these are the same type of shrimp.

Gary