Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger[_1_] Bob Terwilliger[_1_] is offline

Default Are You Fixing A Special Dinner For Valentine's Day?

Judy wrote:

> How many here are planning a special menu to fix at home for family, or
> friends, or maybe a "significant other" that you want to impress?
>
> We use to always get together at my parent's home when they were both
> still living, and I'd always make a special dessert, and usually a salad
> of some kind.
>
> For the past few years my hubby and I go out to our favorite restaurant
> for dinner. They have a special menu just for that day with several
> choices.

Lin and I make special dinners for February 13th and for February 14th.
(We call February 13 "Proposal Day" since that's the date I proposed to
her.)

We have somewhat soured on going out to dinner on that night; we find
that restaurant standards plummet on that night, presumably because of
the ravening hordes of diners.

This year Lin is making dinner on Proposal Day and I'm making dinner on
Valentine's Day. I don't know what she's planning to cook but here's my
latest menu draft:

APPETIZER
Poached celery with shrimp

MAIN COURSE
Chicken livers with blood-orange glaze and segments
Mashed cauliflower
Mixed greens

DRIFTING TOWARD DESSERT
Farina timbale with candied red bell pepper

DESSERT
Apricot clafouti (made using dried apricots reconstituted in plum wine)

Bob