Ray

Default Specific Gravity - Primary Fermentation

I do not use an airlock during primary but it is obvious that you are
opening it every day and checking it and probably stirring it (stirring is a
good thing during primary) so that is giving the yeast all the oxygen they
need. Leave it on or take it off will not matter. Now if you were just
setting it up, putting an air lock on it an leaving it, it would be better
to not have it. But if you think about it, the air lock is to keep air away
from the must. You are opening it and stirring it and testing it. The air
lock is irrelevant during this phase.

Ray

"Brandon" > wrote in message
> Newbe question - I'm making wine for the first time using a wine kit and
> after reading some of the posts here, I'm not sure I should be using an
> air-lock during the primary fermentation as oxygen is required to assist

the
> yeast in converting the sugar into alcohol and SO2?
>
> According to the kit instructions, I should rack the wine into the

secondary