Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] pltrgyst@xhost.org is offline

Default Do You Fix Certain Foods On New Year's Day (For Good Luck)?

On Tue, 27 Dec 2011 04:41:41 -0600, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> wrote in message
.. .
>> I do savory and sweet crepes and omelettes to order, and we always have a
>> huge ham, a country pate en croute, a Welsh trifle, a ten-layer dark
>> chocolate-orange torte, assorted cookies, and a couple of cases of Gruet blanc
>>de noirs plus orange and mango juices....

>that torte recipe would be nice, Lee

Hmmm, it came from Gourmet, around 25 years ago. I'm not at home, so I don't
have the detailed recipe, but from memory:

- Make enough pie crust dough from your favorite recipe for ten nine-inch
rounds. Use orange juice instead of water, and add the grated zest of two
oranges.

- Roll the dough out into disks nine inches in diameter and 1/8 inch thick.
Prick all over with a fork, and bake at 350 until beginning to brown at the
edges. Cool completely.

- Make a double batch (two small boxes [3.75 oz.?], or one large) of dark
chocolate pudding --*not* instant! -- and, after bringing to the boil, remove
from the heat; stir and melt in whatever rich, dark chocolate you have handy, to
taste. Even a bag of Hershey's Special Dark chocolate chips works great. (I like
to reinforce the orange flavor by also adding a teaspoon of blood orange extract
to the pudding.) Cool for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

- On a plate, begin with a pie crust round, then top with about 1/4 inch of the
pudding mixture, and repeat layers until you add the final pie crust round. Do
not top the final pie crust round with pudding.

- Cover and refrigerate as long as necessary - overnight is fine.

- Just before serving, top with fresh whipped cream.

- Slice thinly (because it's *very* rich) and serve with additional whipped
cream on the side..

-- Larry