Posted to rec.food.preserving
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default Labels for Ball Jars

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 08:52:38 -0600, George Shirley
> wrote:

>On 12/22/2011 6:28 AM, Jim wrote:
>> Has anyone come up with a good method of labeling
>> their jars after canning? I now use a permanent
>> marker on the lid, but a nice, tough, waterproof, durable
>> label would be nice. Something you could put
>> in an ink jet printer would be even better.
>>
>> I'm curious to what others have found best.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jim
>>

>Look around on line for some round labels that will fit on jar lids. I
>think they are 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Barb Schaller uses them all the
>time.
>
>I mostly use a Sharpie on the lid with product and date of manufacture
>but have used shipping labels with fair results. The only problem with
>labels on jars is that they are often a real problem to get off to reuse
>the jar. Good luck.

I use the round labels on the lids of my jars. Since most of my jars
come back to me, I know what a pain it is to remove the labels. I use
the Avery label # 5294.

Found my source.
http://www.buyonlinenow.com/viewProduct.asp?SKU=AVE5294

I have ordered from them before (not the labels) and got very good
service.
--
Susan N.