Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Gene Gene is offline

Default Prime Rib

snip
>This is from my restaurant days. Using a convection oven.
>Put prime rib in a convection oven that has been preheated to 500F.
>Leave at that temp for 1/2 hour.
>Turn down heat to 200F.
>Roast until desired doneness is reached. If memory serves correct our
>roasts were not in that long. Perhaps 2 to 3 hours? It's been well
>over three decades. 1977. I was a big ole' night chef working the
>Maître d'Hôtel Butter station in a big ole' steak house. My assistant
>would pass the finished steak to me, and I'd put a lil' ole' scoop of
>Maître d'Hôtel Butter on top. Needless to say, the pace was fast and
>furious.
>Also, if you're not using a convection oven, you will need more
>time.

Yep, that is the TRADITIONAL way to do it. It worked well. I just
prefer the ATK way of doing it. I find it produces a more even and
consistent result. The 500F for 1/2 hour in effect brows the roast.

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain