arne thormodsen

Default Agglomerated Corks

> All in all, I'd say the best promise for the future lies in Stelvin
> screwcaps - but these are obviously not for the home winemaker.

And what are these?

I heard part of an interview with a winemaker on the radio a few months ago.
He was talking about the poor quality of cork these days and said that if it
was up to him he'd use screw-on caps for all his white wines (he still
thought that corks mighe be contributing something to reds, maybe it was a
factor of how long the wine was expected to stay in the bottle). Problem is
that the public won't accept it, as (in the US anyway) screw caps are
associated with cheap fortified wines mostly drunk by smelly men living
under bridges.

--arne