Posted to rec.food.preserving
Beti Beti is offline

Default Old liquid pectin

On Sep 4, 6:54*pm, zxcvbob > wrote:
> I made crabapple jelly today. *I had 6 cups of juice from the steam
> juicer, so I boiled it down to 4+ cups and topped it off with water to
> bring it back to 5. *Added 7.5 cups of sugar and brought it to a boil.
> (boy, was it foamy) *Opened the packet of Ball equivalent of Certo,
> dated October 2008, and squeezed it in. *It was gelled in the packet. *I
> assumed it would melt, so I broke it up and stirred it in and brought
> the jelly back to a boil. *The pectin broke up into little pieces but
> very little of it dissolved.
> -Bob

Could it have had a tiny hole it in somewhere and maybe started to dry
out over the years?

I used liquid pectin for the first time this year with peach lavender
jam from Small Batch Preserving. It seems to have worked. I've never
really used pectin of any kind much so I'm just learning about how
they behave. Why does one recipe call for liquid and one for dry?