Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Foxfire Books Recipes

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 08:32:59 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>The Foxfire Books. 1972.

*Begun* in 1972. [or thereabouts] I just ran across my set in the
attic earlier this morning. I think I have 6-7. I looked on
Amazon to see what their dates were & it looks like they revived the
series! I'm missing a few. Should probably buy them so when the
apocalypse comes I'm ready. [I've got the one that builds a still-- so
I guess I could just from there and barter.<g>]

>These books have some interesting recipes from
>the folks who live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. I love how
>vague they can be. This is like reading one of my grandmother's recipes.
>She just assumed everyone knew how long and at what temperature to cook
>something.

I found them very informative & great reading. not to mention what a
great idea it was to introduce teens to *old* people and their ways--
and record those ways for posterity.

>Brunswick Stew
>
>2 lbs. cooked ground beef
>1 lb. cooked ground pork
>1 small cooked chicken, chopped
>3-4 diced potatoes
>1 pint corn (kernels)
>1 c. lima beans
>2-3 diced carrots
>2-3 chopped onions
>1 pint tomatoes or tomato juice
>chili powder
>black pepper and red pepper
>Worcestershire sauce
>
>The vegetables may be either raw or canned. Mix everything together and
>simmer a long time.
>
>******************
>Corn Pones
>
>1 pint corn meal
>1/2 tsp. salt
>1 tsp. baking powder
>1 Tbs. lard
>milk
>
>Mix together meal, powder and salt. Cut in lard, add enough milk to make a
>stiff batter. Form into pones with hands (or drop from the end of a spoon)
>and place in greased pan. Bake in a hot oven for about half an hour.
>*******************
>
>Molasses Cookies
>
>1 c. brown sugar
>1 egg
>1 c. molasses
>3/4 c. melted butter or lard
>1/4 c. boiling water
>salt to taste
>
>Add enough flour to roll. Roll, cut out, bake in hot oven.

Well-- I might be a bit more specific on the cookie recipe-- but the
others could come from my notes. I guess I *should* try harder-- but
words are expensive.

Jim