Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Foxfire Books Recipes

The Foxfire Books. 1972. These books have some interesting recipes from
the folks who live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. I love how
vague they can be. This is like reading one of my grandmother's recipes.
She just assumed everyone knew how long and at what temperature to cook
something.

Brunswick Stew

2 lbs. cooked ground beef
1 lb. cooked ground pork
1 small cooked chicken, chopped
3-4 diced potatoes
1 pint corn (kernels)
1 c. lima beans
2-3 diced carrots
2-3 chopped onions
1 pint tomatoes or tomato juice
chili powder
black pepper and red pepper
Worcestershire sauce

The vegetables may be either raw or canned. Mix everything together and
simmer a long time.

******************
Corn Pones

1 pint corn meal
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbs. lard
milk

Mix together meal, powder and salt. Cut in lard, add enough milk to make a
stiff batter. Form into pones with hands (or drop from the end of a spoon)
and place in greased pan. Bake in a hot oven for about half an hour.

Molasses Cookies

1 c. brown sugar
1 egg
1 c. molasses
3/4 c. melted butter or lard
1/4 c. boiling water
salt to taste

Add enough flour to roll. Roll, cut out, bake in hot oven.

Jill