Posted to rec.food.cooking
albgardis albgardis is offline

Default Are you buying fake San Marzano tomatoes???

On Aug 18, 7:28*pm, Jerry Avins > wrote:

> Cento sells canned Italian plum tomatoes and at a higher price, canned
> San Marzano plum tomatoes. Do your own taste test and see. There's no
> doubt that they are different; whether you prefer that difference is
> naturally a matter of taste. They are grown in the volcanic soil near
> Vesuvius, and are also genetically different.
>
> Jerry
> --
> Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get.- Hide quoted text -

I am with you, I also recommend people should make their own tests and
find out the big differences.

I have made several tests with various brands (side by side tests),
some San Marzano fakes, some real San Marzanos and some regular
tomatoes who didn't claim to be anything else than plain tomatoes.

I found out that the highest price IS NOT the indicator of best
quality!

Basically, the regular tomatoes could not hold up to the standard.
They are good enough if you make a spicy dish like Bucatini or Chilli,
but if you want a delicate pasta sauce, they will disappoint you.

The cans who claimed to be San Marzano were very different from each
other: I bought an expensive one in a Williams Sonoma store (Solania
brand), and I got disappointed. The middle priced Dani Coop (from
Gustiamo, see link in first or second posts) was the strongest winner
so far.

A few days ago I have bought a can of these new "certified" San
Marzano cans from Cento. I will make a test with Dani Coop to see
whether they are equals or not. I had San Marzano from Cento before,
and they were OK, but not as great as Dani. Now they have this new
certication, and I am willing to give them another chance. Let's see
how they will do...

But these tests are a hobby of mine, just for fun. When I have no time
for games, and I need to be sure of the results, I am not playing
around, then I am taking the real ones from Dani Coop.