Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Leftover Campbell's Tomato soup

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message

> "George Shirley" <> wrote > Peasant! With all that I would have done the
> same. Shucks, we were
>> buying hurricane season supplies at Big Lots the other day and we bought
>> four quart boxes of tomato herb soup from some outfit I never heard of
>> before. Since we cook with gas we can still cook, with the windows open
>> of course, even if the power goes off.

> At risk of boring lots of folks here (which is fair because the silly
> quarrels bore me) I would be very interested in your hurricane supplies
> list. One of our favorite and unusual ones is a supply of Johnson &
> Johnson baby powder and a box of corn starch. The mix is soothing to heat
> rashes and helps a little if a real bath is impossible.
> Another ridiculous preparation is we freeze water in our muffin tins
> and sack the 'cubes'. They hold better than ice cubes. I reckon we need
> to get started on that. I see Hurricane Emily is being announced. At 40
> mph she's just a sissy but it may be good practice. Our power goes out if
> the hummingbirds get raucous. Polly

Cornstarch is not recommended for heat rash because if there is a fungal
infection it can make it thrive.

I don't keep an actual kit any more. I did when we lived in NY because it
was strongly recommended on the military base. I kept everything in
suitcases near the front door.

Now I just keep extra canned goods, flashlights, batteries, a battery
operated radio and an extra pair of medical hose. I don't have extra
prescription meds. I know I should but my insurance won't pay for it and I
don't have enough money to pay out of pocket. It would be thousands of
dollars to get one month's worth.