Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave Bugg Dave Bugg is offline

Default dry rub for ribs

Dimitri wrote:
> Going to smoke some St Louis cut ribs on Saturday for a fathers day
> celebration.
>
> I'm curious, the most recent rub recipe said to apply the rub 1 hour
> up to 8 hours before cooking.
>
> How long do you leave the rub on before smoking?
>
> TIA
>
> Dimitri

Hi, Dimitri.

I completely dry my slabs and let them sit out at room temp for about 45- 60
minutes. Shortly before going into the pit, I wipe each slab with a thin,
thin smear of vegetable oil. I then liberally apply the rub. The slabs go
into the pit about 5 minutes later. I find that putting on the rub much in
advance, it makes things a wet mess. If I want to add a lot of additional
flavor to the meat, I'll marinade well in advance.
--
Dave
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."--------