Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

Default WSM brisket (without hourly mop)

On Thu, 09 Jun 2011 16:36:10 -0400, mike wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 11:16:29 -0700 (PDT), tutall >
> wrote:
>
>>On Jun 9, 8:24*am, unix > wrote:
>>> Gents,
>>>
>>> The brisket cooks on WSM I've been Googling all seem to envolve
>>> frequent mops.
>>>
>>> Is there a way I can get a decent brisket done without so much effort?

>>Have never mopped and they turn out fine, plenty juicy.
>>
>>A "Donald Bones" bones posted this a while ago,
>>
>>http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...f4151632323a97
>>
>>And have never foiled, not any other folderall foo-flam stuff. Rub it,
>>cook it and eat it. No saucing, no foiling, no injecting or brining
>>(chix and turkey excepted) for me.
>>

> For beef ribs and butts, I don't even bother with a rub. The only
> injection it gets is the probe from my remote meat thermometer... When
> the meat is done, no sauce, just good smoked meat flavor. Works for
> the wife and I, the kids love it, and the pulled pork actually got a
> compliment from my mother and a request for more (that rarely happens,
> I could hand her a thousand dollars cash and she would complain the
> bills looked used) so why mess with a good thing?
>
> I have to admit that if I have a beer go warm on me during the smoke,
> I might open it up long enough to dump it over whatever is in the
> smoker. I try not to let a good beer go warm though.
>
> Haven't done a brisket yet, but will probably give that a bit of salt
> and pepper and skip any mops or foil.
>
> Well, can't say I never did a brisket... tried half of one in a small
> brinkman smoker as my first ever smoking attempt. Didn't have a
> thermometer for the smoker, and my meat thermometer was quite a bit
> off. I WAY over cooked the damn thing to the point of being
> un-edible. I'm taking a mulligan on that one and going to try my new
> first attempt on my offset...

LoL. My first was a disaster to. Wasn't un-edible, but was not a good que
either. I tried using a half brisket to. I think that was the main
problem. Really gotta get the whole "packer cut". Big Jim says it best.
Learn to cook the meat. Don't worry about rubs and sauces. Heck, he
doesn't even worry about temp that much. I've heard he will let his cooker
get up to 350° or more and not worry about it. Let it go. Cook till
done...

But then he has cooked over 1000 briskets. Me, less then 10... Experience
helps !!!!

> Anyway, good luck with the brisket. Try a few things that are
> suggested, and develop your own style from it. That is what BBQ is
> all about.

Very true. After you learn to cook the meat. You can have the best rub or
sauce in the world, but it won't do you any good if the meat is tough as
leather.

BBQ
--
Vegetarian