Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Craig Watts[_2_] Craig Watts[_2_] is offline

Default WSM brisket (without hourly mop)

> There is no reason to mop hourly. You only do it if you want to. An 8
> hour cook without mopping might become a 12 hour cook mopping hourly. Many
> just apply a rub, cook till done, maybe mop it the last 20 minutes or so.
> Or have sauce available at the table for those that want it.
>
> I agree, mopping hourly can spoil the enjoyment of barbecuing. The thing I
> am concerned with when q'ing, is maintaining the temp. I like to maintain
> it around 300°. Plus or minus 20° doesn't bother me. Above or below that,
> I will make adjustments. I have a thermometer outside of the WSM that I
> set at 300 in the 12 o'clock position. From a distance, I can the see how
> much the needle is away from the straight up position.

We peel the membrane, rub and let sit for hours in the
fridge. We use lump and slow cook. I do not mop I only
maintain my BAC to a modest level for rib enjoyment during
cooking. (Dry ribs)

The ease of rib enjoyment.

Craig