Posted to rec.food.preserving
Nyssa Nyssa is offline

Default Freezing bok choy?

George Shirley wrote:

> On 5/23/2011 9:44 AM, Nyssa wrote:
>> I've been growing some dwarf bok choy in the garden this spring, and
>> have been enjoying it, but now I've got more than I can use ready for
>> harvest.
>>
>> I've looked in the latest BBB and Ball Home Preserving (sounds like a
>> title of a repair guide) book, but neither mentions bok choy. Since
>> there is more than just greens involved (the white stalk portions of
>> the plant) I don't know if the directions for greens would be quite
>> the right thing either.
>>
>> Any experience with bok choy out there? Or any ideas for how to handle
>> it for successful freezing?
>>
>> TIA.
>>
>> Nyssa, whose garden is promising to be a good one this year after two
>> years of marauding snow geese and drought
>>

> The only way I've seen anyone preserve bok choy is by dehydrating it and
> then rehydrating it when needed in soups and stews. Doesn't freeze well,
> doesn't can in a jar well. Best eaten fresh or take the excess to the
> farmers market to sell or give to the neighbors.

Thanks for the information, George.

I've already loaded one neighbor down with as much as she can use
(it was a new vegetable for her and I'm glad she likes it so much), and
the other refuses to try it. No farmers market around here either.

If I get desperate, I guess I can drag out my little-used dehydrador
and give it a try. I usually use bok choy steamed or stir fried or
fresh in salads, so soups would be a new adventure. Any hints on prep
or time in the dehydrator?

My broccoli is coming all at once too. At least I know I can successfully
freeze some of that. I guess a crawl up into my hot attic to get my
blanching pot down is in order. Mmmm I think I'll wait until early
tomorrow morning when it should be cooler.

Nyssa, who is so glad to have a problem of too much this year instead
of either not enough or none at all