Posted to rec.food.cooking
Victor Sack[_1_] Victor Sack[_1_] is offline

Default black or green lentils - difference between these and brown lentils?

Kalmia > wrote:

> Per usual, a recipe specifies black or green lentils, like everyone
> has access to these things. All I have or can find are the ol' brown
> ones. Is this a matter of taste or is the difference too slight to
> care about?

There are taste and texture differences, but the length of cooking time
is even more important. Below is a table from one of my packages of
Sabarot brand lentils. Of course, you have to taste the lentils to
determine when they are ready, just as you would taste pasta.
Personally, it would not occur to me to pressure-cook any kind of
lentils. Actual time saved would be negligible.

Boiling Pressure cooking

Lentilles vertes du Puy, 20 min 7 min
French dark green lentils

Lentilles blondes, white 25-30 min 9 min
(actually beige/light brown)
lentils

Lentilles vertes, green 20-25 min 9 min
lentils