Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default stuffed shells?

On Feb 28, 9:38 pm, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 20:03:22 -0800 (PST), "
>
> > wrote:
> > Any suggestions for where I can find these pasta shells? I am open to
> > dry pasta, cooked pasta, and even stuff shells if it just cheese and
> > light seasoning. No sauce, meat, or veggies.

> It will be interesting to see if anyone knows. I haven't seen dry
> giant shells in years. Barilla has jumbo, nothing bigger.
>
> Use ricotta and an egg for the filling unless you're the one who can't
> eat eggs.

I can eat eggs, though I never thought of them in in this. I actually
have a few left from the last bag I bought. But they aren't even on
Safeway's website anymore. They have other frozen pasta products, but
not ones I like.

They were really great for a quick and easy meal when I don't feel
like cooking. They were also really great for cooking in the hotel
while traveling. I just needed a bag of the stuffed shells and a
container of spaghetti sauce. Travels in a cooler well, and heats
fast.
---

Does the filling hold up with no egg in it? Or do you use an egg replacer?
I can't have eggs either. But I can have dairy now. At least sometimes.

I stuff my shells with mashed potatoes and onion then smother them with more
sautéed onion and margarine. I call these faux pierogies.

I used to love the cheese stuffed shells and I've been buying some frozen
ones for my daughter, but they do have egg in them. So I can't eat them.