Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Southern style cornbread [was; Hot dogs and baked beans]

Omelet > wrote:

>In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 18:23:48 -0600, George Shirley
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > Served over fresh Arkansas cornbread,

>> What makes Arkansas cornbread different from the rest?

>I'm betting it's the lack of flour, and sugar. <g>
>I have a couple of recipes on file:
>
>Arkansas Cornbread
>
>2 cups yellow cornmeal
>1 teaspoon baking soda
>1 teaspoon salt
>2 cups buttermilk
>2 eggs well beaten.
>
>Stir the dry ingredients together eliminating any lumps in the soda.
>Beat the two eggs well and add the buttermilk and eggs to the dry
>ingredients.
>
>Heat the oven to 425F, take a 10 or 12 inch cast iron skillet add a
>tablespoon of oil, put in the oven as it's heating. When oven is ready
>pour the cornbread mix into the skillet and then bake for 20 minutes or
>until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the pone comes out dry.

I did something very similar to this a couple weeks ago. The only
change was it was cooked at 450.

I liked the flavor, and the texture was different, but pretty good out
of the oven. But it didn't 'pop' like I thought it should. It
didn't raise hardly at all.

I used powdered buttermilk & my soda is a 1/2 full box that has worked
in everything else.

By the time it cooled it was too dense to eat. I know I've seen a
bunch of folk talk about crumbling it up in milk-- and I could see it
used for that.

Did it come out right, and I'm just not a southern cornbread guy-- or
should I try again and do something different?

Thanks
Jim